WELCOME to TRUTH ... not TASERS

You may have arrived here via a direct link to a specific post. To see the most recent posts, click HERE.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Taser teaser

June 14, 2008
UJJAL DOSANJH, MP, Vancouver South

In your editorial Dangerous Weapon Of Convenience (June 11), you contend - based on the testimony of one RCMP officer speaking to the House of Commons public safety committee - that Tasers were never meant to be used instead of a gun, and that legislators who approved Tasers misunderstood the true uses for these devices.

I want to reiterate that when I approved Tasers for use in British Columbia, I was assured they would be employed as an alternative to guns and lethal force in high-risk situations, and that they would be used sparingly. Though I now have real concerns about "usage creep," I could not have envisioned such slippage when I first allowed Tasers.

My understanding of your editorial is that you are not arguing for a complete ban. I want to state categorically that police forces across Canada should have this alternative to guns. But while I recognize that Tasers will not be the appropriate substitute in all situations, I would like them to replace the gun as often as possible. When a gun is drawn, police shoot to kill. I would not want police to always draw their guns.

No comments: